Monday, August 16, 2010

We are still fighting a war.











When I moved to Stillwater I had the opportunity to befriend some of the best people in the world. 3 of these friends are currently active duty in the U.S. Air Force. Through them, I have had the privilege of meeting hundreds of our military men and women and it has been an absolute pleasure.








I tell students and adults in my programs that if they want to send care packages, supplies and words of encouragement to those who are deployed I will supply them with addresses or mail the supplies myself. WOW! What a response I have received. I have spent most of the day responding to e-mails from individuals, student organizations and churches who want to send something. Too often we hear that "freedom isn't free" which is true, but what is the cost. On the extreme end it is the loss of a loved one but on a daily basis it is simply the worry of a mother or father. It is a son or daughter, husband or wife missing the person who means the most to them. It is a birthday celebrated without a parent or an anniversary spent alone. I hope that we all don't get to wrapped up in our own lives that we forget we only have all of this because they do all of that.








I wish I could see the look on the soldiers faces when they get a package they were not expecting from someone they do not know! The pics are of my good friends who are active duty. Thank God we live in a free country but thank him even more for the people that ensure that freedom.








No comments: